Monday, August 14, 2006

New amp is in!

Finally, I found some time this weekend to install the 2nd amp in my car. It took me a few hours because I had to rearrange a bunch of wires and run a new remote turn on to the trunk to power the 2nd amp, not to mention the preout signals to the trunk too. So how does it sound? GREAT! Not the cleanest I've heard, but for $70, well worth it. I'm very happy with the system now! In fact, it seems that because I'm not using the headunits internal amp anymore, the preout voltages have increased. I don't know if this is a "feature" of the headunit or because I had a loose preamp connection before, but I'm not complaining. The highs are many times more crisp now and the midranges aren't as muffled. I think the Infinity Reference speakers like the extra power boost they're getting. Now the bass doesn't sound as overpowering either. And best part, I have so much control over the gains of the cabin speakers, 1st thing I did was level match all the preouts to my liking!

My only gripe about all this is that I mounted the 2nd amp on the subwoofer box. The amp wouldn't fit inside the cabin anywhere. Now, if I want to remove the subwoofer temporarily, I have to unmount the 2nd amp from the box so I can at least still have music without the subwoofer in there. A bit of a pain, but hopefully, I won't have to remove the subwoofer box often.

Only thing left now is to clean up some loose wire ends and fix the loose speaker connection in the front driver door speaker. Also, I have to tie down the sub box better since there is some extra weight on it now from the new amp.

Overall, I'm one happy car audio camper!

3 Comments:

At Monday, August 14, 2006 11:17:00 PM, Blogger gorgbroza said...

Cool. Too bad you couldn't find space for the amp elsewhere... that's the way it goes w/car audio though... not a lot of room to work with.

In the GTO... they moved the fuel tank from under the trunk (Australia) to inside the trunk (USA... damn lawyers)... so there's all this spare space under the trunk. If I ever get around to upgrading the audio in the GTO, I think that's where the amps will go.

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger alan said...

Thanks for the comment. I think you're the only person I associate with who even remotely is interested in car audio..... that makes me sad.... not because you're the only one, but because no one else cares about it. =(

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:50:00 PM, Blogger gorgbroza said...

I wonder if more people would be interested if they could own a decent car stereo system for a little while.

Most people spend so much time on the road... if I had a commute I'd be listening to more music than I do nowadays.

I guess a lot of things don't make sense to me after a couple bottles of Stone IPA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home