Monday, June 19, 2006

Car system drama

Ok, this blog is starting to become "The story of the AVN6600." So, I hooked up my sub to the AVN6600. My first impression, "Man, I forgot what clean bass sounds like." Before I got the AVN6600, I just used the speaker level inputs from my rear speakers as input to my amp. I thought it sounded ok. Now, with the dedicated sub-out from the AVN6600, the difference is like night and day. I had a dedicated sub-out in my Civic a long time ago too, but I forgot what it sounded like.

Anyway, now with the sub in.... I'm frustrated with the cabin speakers. The internal amp of the AVN6600 does them no justice compared to sub's sound quality. I'm especially frustrated by the fact I can't control and fine tune the gain of the cabin speakers. With the sub-out, I have awesome crossover, slope, and gain controls via the AVN6600, in addition to another gain knob on the sub amp itself. I could tweak the sub until my heart is content. With the cabin speakers, what do I have?... volume UP and volume DOWN on the headunit. It's pretty near impossible to level match them with the sub.... unless I turn the gain on the sub amp all the way up, which I don't want to do because you can start to hear distortion when you do.

So what to do? Now I'm thinking about getting another 4 channel amp just for the cabin speakers.... when will the madness stop????? When my wife reads this, she'll either 1) Scold me or 2) Start a shopping rampage of her own..... I don't know which would be worse.... =) But you can't blame me hon, blame my high school friends from back in the day who introduced me to this wonderful world of car audio. Vijay, if you're reading this, back me up man.....

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:21:00 PM, Blogger gorgbroza said...

I think I should comment here because I am probably the only other person reading this blog.

This car audio stuff is insidious... I have to say, if I had more than a 5 mile commute, I'd be tempted to tear into the Goat.

Sitting around my garage, I have...

Polk db component set... REAL smooth tweeters, used to list for $400+, got them for $100 on clearance.

Polk db 12 sub... OK sub, clean but not so efficient... not a good sub if you want HUGE bass.

Infinity Beta 15" sub... very clean sounding sub, again, not so loud... used to list for $600, I think I paid $100.

MTX4320 4x70wrms amp

Some Alpine head unit

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:07:00 PM, Blogger alan said...

So sad, I'm responding to the only other person reading this blog. Indeed it is insidious... everything goes in piece by piece... you just keep wanting more.

If you ever want to work on the Goat's audio, let me know! You have some very decent equipment there....

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 5:44:00 PM, Blogger gorgbroza said...

Uh oh.

The main thing keeping me from touching the Goat's audio system is... I like the design of the stock head unit, I like the integration with the steering wheel controls, etc. And I don't like the idea of line-output converters, because you're taking the signal AFTER the cheapo head unit amp has messed with it.

Well... some "bloke" (hehe) in Australia has put together a kit that gets you both an AUX input (for iPods, whatever), and 4-channel RCA output. The outputs tap into the signal BEFORE the head-unit's amp. He's put together some quality instructions, and the price is reasonable (something like $100-150 for input + output + a factory-looking AUX switch).

The only issue is it requires disassembling the head-unit (no problem), and some soldering. My soldering skills are limited to splicing wires, pretty much. I haven't done any precise soldering on circuit boards....

I'll paste the link here and maybe you or John can tell me whether the soldering is a big deal or not....

PDF Instructions

 

Post a Comment

<< Home